HOME
Sign guest bookRead guest bookSearch websiteLinksEmail Webmaster
SignViewForumSearchLinksContact

Home The history Content

CAMP CAMPBELL
In 1943, Camp Campbell prepared to accept prisoners of war from World War II. Those that would come here would be from the European Theater of Operations (ETO). German prisoners of war (POWs) began arriving at the newly constructed prisoner of war camp, which was located in the area that is now Hammond Heights. These POWs will be remembered by the farmers in the area who utilized their services and by those who were directly involved with them

During their time here, these prisoners also built two additional POW stockades with the maximum capacity of 3.000 men. Other stockades were built to segregate the Nazi and anti-Nazi prisoners. During their time here, the prisoners were utilized primarily on labor details, however, many who possessed special skills were put to work were they could of most help. For example, one Major and two Captains worked as watch repairmen in the post ordinance shops.

When the last of the prisoners of war were transferred from the post in April 1945, the bodies of five of their countrymen were left resting in a specially built cemetery.

More documents:
Transfer to France ] Letter Ramcke ] Camp Austin ] Letter 1 ] Letter 2 ] Le Havre ] Certificate ] Camp Ashby ] Concordia ] FBI leaflet ] Fort Robinson ] Birthday ] Wilmington ] [ Camp Campbell ] Papago Park ] McClellan ] Salina ] Instruction Page ]

 

Klick Flagge für Seiten in deutscher Sprache