The JPEG Reducer
August 29, 2010
Including new arrivals into an existing image collection can be quite a hassle. Helping you to cross that bridge fast and easily is what The JPEG Reducer is all about.
What JPEG Reducer can do for you:
- Reduce the size of many JPEG files without any loss in the quality of the native image
- Automatically detect binary duplicates among these files
- Automatically detect JPEG files which hold the same image, but are no binary duplicates for any reason, such as different DPI or meta data
- Reveal matching images between two sets of files. If you're tired of finding out if certain images are already present in your collection, this is for you.
The program works as a frontend of the command line utility jpegtran, which is the lossless transformations expert inside the Independent JPEG Group's JPEG software package. The JPEG Reducer provides a graphical user interface, batch processing, a preview of the optimization process (called 'Forecast'), and long-term statistics which include Top 20's of the files which became were optimized best. At some point the development went beyond the basic functionality of jpegtran, as both the integration of external applications and the detection of various kinds of duplicates were added.
- Windows XP or later
- jpegtran.exe, which is included. However, the software package that contains jpegtran is under constant development of the Independent JPEG Group. Visit http://sylvana.net/jpeg-bin/ in case you want to make sure that the provided version 8b is up to date, as this site usually keeps a binary of the most recent IJG JPEG software package ready for download (∼ 290 KB).
Run the setup and follow the instructions.
As far as jpegtran concerns, by extracting it from the software package.you don't necessarily have to backup/overwrite the provided version located at The JPEG Reducer installation folder\jpegtran\. You may also decide differently and point JPEG Reducer to the jpegtran location.
It's recommended to experiment with some test files first until you know how it all works and you are satisfied with what you get as a result
With the above said, run the program and drop the JPEG files on its window. This starts generating the Forecast.
- No need to be picky: Files which turn out to be no valid JPEGs will automatically be skipped
- Since the JPEG Reducer has to make use of your temp-drive you will receive a warning in case you run out of free space
As the Forecast has been generated, the results are presented within up to three groups: Files that would become smaller, unchanged, or larger.
Please take note that the sign that indicates the difference between the original file and its processed version is suffixed - for the benefit of a better readability.
- Hovering the mouse inside the 'Name' column reveals path, thumbnail and additional details of a particular file
In the presence of files which would become smaller the lower right button offers you to Reduce !
all of them at once.
In order to optimize selected files, use the context menu.
Files which cannot be reduced in size are excluded from both actions for obvious reasons.
The loss in size is achieved by at least one of the following two operations:
- The removal of extra markers. In case such markers exist, they provide supplementary stuff like descriptive meta data and embedded thumbnails,
which speed up previews in qualified applications. In case you want this content blowing up your image files, keep your hands off this part of the JPEG Reducer.
- Recompressing the given encoded image data using optimized parameters. This is a lossless process, it does not affect the quality of the native image.
The rearrangement of a previous encoding result is not to be mistaken
with re-encoding, which of course would be lossy (in case of JPEG files).
Both file and image duplicates (whose containing files differ binary-wise) become detected automatically during the generation of the Forecast
In order to discover matches between two sets of files, for example, just downloaded and already collected pictures from the same event, drop the second set on top of the first one.
- You can repeat the last-mention step as often as you like. Each drop will be compared to the very first one.
- In order to replace the first drop, make use of the button Restart located in the upper left corner.
The detection of duplicates enables the associated View Button which occupy the top right of the main window (see screenshot above)
In order to delete files, use the context menu.
The JPEG Reducer follows your optimization actions in so far as it logs both the total of files and overall bytes saved. In addition to this,
it constantly keeps up to date
two ranking lists of the best 20 optimized files so far (one ranked by absolute bytes saved, the other by proportional savings).
You can examine all of the above by hitting the Stats button, which is located in the upper left corner of the main window.
- In order to export a statistic use the "Save page" function of your favorite browser
- In order to reset/clear all statistics, see here
Hide introduction message
Reduces the wordy introduction text, which holds some essential information, to a brief welcome message.
Remember window position
... between sessions.
Stay on top by default
Puts the main window 'always on top' as the program launches.
Single click activation
Opens a file with a single left-click instead of a double-click. In order to learn how to replace the default application with a different one, see here
In case the transparency of the View Buttons doesn't suit your color scheme, you can apply an opaque, stained background to them. Click the colored field in order to change the shade. Bright pastel tones are recommended, but feel free to experiment.
The tray in the lower left of the color picker stores your favorite colors. Two examples are provided.
Prefer quickinfo if context menu used
In case files become reduced by means of the context menu, a quickinfo ("tooltip") instead of a dialog box is used to present the summary (for the sake of a better workflow). Note that quickinfos may become more present in future versions of the program.
( Tooltip ) Delay
The time that has to pass until the file-related info-tooltip shows up.
Note that this only applies to its first appearance - as long as you stay within the 'Name' column, every subsequent tooltip will appear instantly. This is by design (as it allows you to 'roam around' the images without interruption).
( Tooltip ) Thumbnail Quality
Determines the image quality of the info-tooltips thumbnail. This setting affects future Forecasts only, it doesn't work retroactive. Low Quality (LQ) performs slightly better, however, since you may rediscover these thumbs inside a statistics Top 20, you may prefer High Quality (HQ).
( Statistics ) Reset
Clears all data that has been statistically recorded so far. Specifically, this is the overall number of files optimized, the total bytes saved, and the Top 20's. All future recordings will date back to the time of the reset.
Consider exporting the statistics using the 'Save page' function of your favorite browser before making use of this option.
( jpegtran )
Selecting an application automatically appends the token %1% to its path which is a placeholder for the selected JPEG image.
Relocate it in case you have to deal with an application that demands a specific placement, such as certain command line tools.
Leave the field blank in order to open files with the default JPEG application. Otherwise replace it by a qualified program of your choice.
You may add two entries to the context menu. After picking an application you will be prompted to name the corresponding menu item. In case you entered the path manually, type the menu entry into the shorter of the two boxes.
Show context menu apps on top
By default the menu displays the user-defined applications below the build-in entries. Tick this checkbox in order to change this.
The location of this command line utility, which is essential for the JPEG Reducer to do its work. Under normal circumstances you don't need to change this, it's mainly intended for testing different versions of the jpegtran.exe.
Thanks to an continuously increasing number of spam bots, I had to close down my support forum @ http://shield.silverforum.net/
in October 2011. Having to deal with up to 20 spam bot accounts every day, at some point you have to pull the plug. I am deeply sorry about this situation.
Well, I don't want to nag you too much about this. Just keep in mind that behind this piece of free software there's a person who spent a lot of effort in developing it. Which is something that really eats up your spare time. This is why donating is not about giving alms - it's about acknowledgement. And it is of course an investment in the future of the product, and others that may be in the pipeline (yes, there are some). So if The JPEG Reducer is of some use for you, and you can spare a few bucks or Euros, please consider a donation.
- You don't need to have a PayPal account yourself in order to donate - PayPal accepts your favourite credit card as well.
- The currency of each PayPal donation account is fixed, which is why I had to decide on the most common ones. If you don't own Euros/US-Dollars, don't worry, PayPal will convert your local currency for you (however, you might want to check out this site first: http://www.aquariussoft.com/link-currency-converter/)
- In case you are not sure in which currency to donate, please decide on Euros as those would spare me some exchange charge.
Support free software. Anything you can give is much appreciated.
The JPEG Reducer (c) 2010 by Volker Schweiger. All rights reserved.
TERMS, CONDITIONS AND OTHER LEGAL STUFF YOU SHOULD TAKE NOTE OF
- The JPEG Reducer, henceforth called "software", is provided “as is”, without warranty of any kind. The author is not liable for any damage which may be caused by it. Use this software at your own risk.
- You are free to install, use, copy, redistribute and transmit the software, provided it is given away for free and in form of the native, unmodified setup file. Any kind of commercial distribution requires a permission by the author.
- Reverse engineering of the software is prohibited
- You may not alter, transform, or build upon the software. This does not include manual modifications of the configuration files, nor the exported statistics data which you may modify as desired as long as you visually mention the name of the software, and don't use content which discredits either the software or its author.
- You are not allowed to use this software in connection with any kind of defamatory, offending or illegal content, in particular child pornography.
- The origin of this software must not be misrepresented - you must not claim that you wrote the software
- The software is based in part on the work of the Independent JPEG Group, namely jpegtran.exe, which is copyright (c) by Thomas G. Lane and Guido Vollbeding. All rights reserved.
- Where the software or any of its elements is affected by other licenses or rights, that status is in no way affected by this license.
- PayPal is a trademark of PayPal, an eBay Company. Windows and Windows XP are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation All other trademarks, copyrights and elements which are created by third parties are the property of their respective owners.
- If a provision of this license is or becomes illegal, invalid or unenforceable in any jurisdiction, that shall not affect the validity or enforceability in that jurisdiction of any other provision of this license; or the validity or enforceability in other jurisdictions of that or any other provision of this license.
Version 1.02 [ Release Date: August 29, 2010 ]
- Fixed Euro donation site not opening after choosing the currency option 'Other'
Version 1.01 [ Release Date: August 19, 2010 ]
- Fixed options window appearing out of position on certain desktops (thx 9tteu for reporting)
Version 1.00 [ Release Date: June 15, 2010 ]
- In case no files are left a restart of the program is now always performed (for the benefit of a better workflow)
- Escape key now cancels options window
- Fixed help file not to be found when program was launched by shortcut
- Fixed thumbnail tooltip appearing off window (rare)
- Added start menu links to both the programs website and support board
Version 1.00 Beta 2 [ Release Date: May 23, 2010 ]
- Fixed a bug that prevented a successful outcome of the comparsion between two sets of files
- Added 'Properties' to the context menu of a single file
Version 1.00 Beta 1 [ Release Date: May 21, 2010 ]
Copyright © 2010 Volker Schweiger. All rights reserved.